Biyernes, Pebrero 22, 2013

FILIPINO CHARACTERISTIC OF KATATAGANG LOOB


FAITH WITHIN THE FILIPINO CHARACTERISTIC OF KATATAGANG LOOB
BY: MARK JOY G. BASALLAJES
January 13, 2013


            The declaration of the year of faith in this post-modern time is very significant so to speak. Many Filipinos today are struggling in many ways such in terms of injustices, hunger, aggression, deprivation, homelessness. But in spite of this struggle, are they staying strong in their faith?
          One of the characteristics of the Filipinos is what we call Katatagang-loob, according to Joseph Anthony Narciso Z. TiangcoKatatagang-loobis the spirit of undying resiliency reflected upon acts of self-endurance and self-durability amidst of adversities. This reflection tries to rekindle this characteristic of the Filipinos which we call the Katatagang-loob. This Katatagang-loob, itself, challenges us to celebrate this year, the year of faith.
          When we face problems in our life we can sometimes experience dryness with our faith or with our spiritual life, sometimes we lose hope, and sometimes we simply escape the harsh realities of life. Nevertheless many are trying to stay strong in their faith in the midst of the many challenges because without the capacity to face life’s difficult situations, life is seems to be meaningless.
          My experience in the seminary is full of expectations. I cannot hide the fact that even if others look at me as spiritually fit, I am still struggling within. Sometimes, I doubted my faith because of the different philosophers that I am reading. But in spite of this, I always try to purify my motivation. And sometimes I can experience discouragement but I always strive to go on with my formation. In the face of discouragement, I know, I must be a Matatag ang loob. God is the one who calls me and around me are the instruments that God uses in order for me to grow in faith.

          Last year the Philippine government under Aquino administration already signed the very controversial law of the nation, “the Reproductive Health Bill” (RH Bill).  Many of the Pro-Life advocates, especially bishops were so dismayed of the result when it was legalized. We saw bishops of strong faith conviction at that time. It might be that we have lost the fight with regard to the passing of the RH Bill but our aspiration for a better society that is governed by faith continues. And we hope that we would become more responsible as regards the promotion of life.         Sometime when we are facing problems in our life we don’t know what to do, we don’t know where to go. In this year of faith, the challenge remains that amidst the challenges and adversities, Katatagang-loob is what we need. And this would be the most relevant expression of our Christian faith, both as individuals and as well as a community!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento